Sunday, January 15, 2017

My Healthy Plan

I often get asked, "What are you doing to be so successful?" so here's my secret: There's no secret. Sorry.

It's simple, actually! Eat well, move your body, see results. Period.

Not enough? Okay, fair enough. Here's how I do things...

When I started in February 2016, I didn't make radical changes. I started simply. One change at a time.

I had already made some changes in January with spreading my food out throughout the day, rather than eating a day's worth of food in one sitting. (see New me) By February, I decided I probably needed to make some better food choices. I started with a better choice here or there (e.g. skip McDonald's and get teriyaki instead.)

I continued to make small changes to my diet. I started watching calories and tracking my food. I stopped eating fast food and started eating more of a clean diet.

One change here and one change there has built up. If I had been radical about it -- gone through my fridge and pantry and done a clean sweep -- I would have revolted and quit!

Here's an example of a small change: Instead of eating enough pasta for three people, four times a week, I would have pasta for one, twice a week. Then pasta twice a month. Then once every few months. You get the idea.

I now eat about 80% clean and focus more on macronutrients than calories. I stay away from processed foods and foods with too many ingredients or ingredients that are impossible to read.

I eat primarily chicken breasts, yogurt, eggs, fresh vegetables, fruit, etc. I have a berry protein smoothie every morning and supplement with protein drinks and bars when I'm on-on-the-go or need some extra protein. (Protein is the ultimate super food!)

I keep rice, pasta, breads, starchy vegetables, etc. (unnatural occurring carbs, in general) to a minimum. When I do have those things, I make choices for whole grain and unrefined, as much as possible.

I still enjoy treats and "bad" food when I really want to, but it's now an occasional thing every few weeks or months, rather than a regular thing multiple times a week.

I also don't consider being away from home and having to eat out as a license to deviate. I've done research so I know what restaurants around me have healthy options. If I go out of town or somewhere new, I look up nutrition and know what I'm ordering before going to the restaurant.

I'm also religious about not drinking my calories. I exclusively drink water and coffee with only a touch of creamer. I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day and drink no less than 2 liters of water a day.

The other invaluable piece of the puzzle is moving. Get off my butt. Move. Move. Move.

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and workout for an hour: 45 mins of cardio and 15 mins of Strength Training.

Even on my rest days, I try to at least do *something.* A walk. A few trips up/down the stairs. Nothing much. And not always, but usually.

This approach has resulted in an average loss of 2-3lbs a week. Sometimes more, sometimes, less, sometimes nothing (those weeks make me a crazy person!) There have even been a handful of weeks where I've been up a tiny smidge. It's all part of the journey.

There you have it! That's how I've been doing it!

No comments: