Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Am I really doing this?! (Saturday, March 26, 2016)

I've never really put a lot of effort into changing my food habits or doing anything about my weight. Somehow, I always thought that one day, it would just magically take care of itself or my insurance would change and I'd get to have weight-loss surgery. One way or another, it wasn't going to require effort on my part so I just had to wait until the magic day came.

Occasionally, I would realize that I needed to do something myself so I'd "commit to making a change." Those commitments rarely materialized outside my mind and, when they did, they'd rarely have a lifespan of more than 72 hours.

When I decided on February 29th that I was tired of hurting, tired of being embarrassed of myself, tired of being limited in what I can do, I didn't have a ton of faith that this time would be any different. I set a goal of losing 20lbs in the next 30 days and decided that I wasn't going to be "radical" about it. I wouldn't tell myself I "can't" have something, it would be a choice. It would be a daily decision. I would make better choices. If I had bad days, it was okay because it was still better than where I'd been.

Now, on Day 27, I'm down more than 16lbs and on track to hit my goal at my Monday weigh-in. I'm making better choices. I've only had a couple "over budget" food days, yet it was nowhere near my old intake. I'm proud of myself for sticking with it. I'm proud of my progress. Twenty-seven days later, I'm literally taking it one-day-at-a-time.

Today, is going to be a good day!

No comments: